Sunday, March 29, 2009

infinite sadness


infinite sadness
Originally uploaded by gezelle
this is my first attempt at off-camera flash photography using my newly acquired radio flash trigger (P1300 from quiapo) and old trusty Vivitar flash which I bought from kuya. I havent used my Vivitar a lot since I bought it second-hand three years ago from my brother due to its weight and size. it looks and feels awkward when placed at the hotshoe of my olympus e-500. very heavy and bulky. but the few times in the past that i have used it, i was always satisfied. i wasnt disappointed this time.

upon learning a few weeks ago (while shooting a prenup with sherwin) that i can trigger the flash off-camera, i was elated and immediately planned a trip to quiapo. i thank God for the fact that hidalgo is only 20-30 minutes away from my lola's house and only 2 short jeepney rides away. i can go there anytime i feel like i need cheering up.

anyway... to achieve the soft and directed lighting on the photo, i placed the Vivitar flash on the topmost row of a book cabinet (situated at the left-hand side) within the room and had the flash pointing upwards. i wanted the light to bounce-off from our ceiling. flash intensity was at 1/2 or full setting and ISO was at 100. my camera was placed on top of a large box, some books and magazines and as before, i have set the 12-second timer to allow myself almost enough time to walk-away from the camera and pose.

it took so many takes and a lot of sweat before i thought i had enough to work with. it was tiring but fun. yes, fun even though i do not look like im having fun in the photo. even more fun was the editing part. i used photoshop cs2's "omni" lighting effect to further enhance the mood.

your comments, critiques and even questions are welcome. thanks and God bless!

1 comment:

dadaydamakulay said...

palagay ko malaking tulong kung may remote ka for your self portrait shoots. para wag ka naman masyadong mapagod.

Flickr Slideshow